31 Days of Blogging Challenge - December 18

If I could have one superpower it would be "lungs of steel"! Yea I know, pretty weird request! But very much needed in my life right now. About 5 years ago, after my son was born I found out that I have (well I guess you can say) a rare autoimmune disease called Scleroderma. "Scler-a-who", that's exactly what I said! 

Scleroderma is a disease that involves the buildup of scar-like tissue in the skin. It also damages the cells the line the walls of the small arteries.

There are a lot of ways this disease can affect people, manifestations of this disease can show up in various forms; external and internal. For me, this disease affects my lungs profoundly. My lungs are so scarred by the disease, that I have to have oxygen at home and when I leave the house. A cold lasts weeks in my system and I have to really be careful of catching pneumonia, because that could land me in the hospital or the loss of my life. 

Now you see why "lungs of steel" means so much to me. I have two small children, my illness affect my everyday life. Nothing is easy, but I'm so blessed to have a wonderful husband. He really takes care of me. I also have my parents that are there whenever I need them to be. I do the best I can to not let this affect my life and at times it can be really hard. Sometimes I feel like I'm affecting our family's future, because of what I can't do. Can you imagine how hard it is to chase around 2 small kids with limited lung function? Well, I do it everyday and it's hard, but my family is what keep me going. I can't conquer the world, but I dam sure will try for my family!!

On a side note: I'm going to the Yeezus concert with my husband tonite!! 

post signature

1 comment

  1. I hope you get feeling better. Way to be strong through a difficult trail. Thank you for sharing your story!

    Just stopping in from Put A Bird On It. Take care and have fun at the concert. :)

    xo
    Daniela
    http://iputabirdonit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

© A CHICAGO MOMMaira Gall