Homeschooling 101: What,When,Where and Why?

WHAT: Due to unforeseen circumstances (my health) this upcoming September school year I will be starting a new journey in my life, HOMESCHOOLING. And yes, I'm nervous!!! Here's the thing, I'm a SAHM so I've been teaching my kids a lot, my son is 5 years old and he can pronounce any word he see's and get close enough to saying it correctly. He already reads at a first grade level. Teaching him from a baby until now was easy, but now, if I homeschool him the future of his education is in my hands! Some would say that's the best route, you choose the direction of your child's education. I say, I'm not a certified teacher, will what I'm doing, be enough? That is a question that will forever be in my head!

WHEN: My son will be starting kindergarten in the September 2014-2015 school year. Since I live in Chicago we have the option of teacher assisted homeschooling through the Chicago Public School system. K12.com gives you access to applying for this program for FREE. Free books, free curriculum and even a computer for the student if you don't have one in your home. I also have the option of taking on all the duties myself as the teacher and purchasing the curriculum out of pocket.

WHERE: Since we will be at home and I also have a 2 year old, one of my first tasks will be to find a quiet study space for him in our home. I will need to set it up with all the essentials needed to make it a comfortable and inspirational learning environment. 

WHY: We are choosing to homeschool because of my health, we are a family of 4, I stay at home and my husband works hours that conflict with school hours. Homeschooling is what will work for us, right now! If it wasn't for my health I would defiantly send my son to a traditional school setting. But, it would have to be the best school in Chicago, not just any school. Yes, I'm the parent that feels all public schools are not equal. They should be but they're not! The quality of education is dependent upon the neighborhood for which the school is in. Well, that's how it is here in Chicago! 


My job now is to read as much as I can on this subject and also find the best online resources to make this the best experience for my son and myself.

Do you homeschool? How did you plan for this journey? What are some of your tips?


post signature

1 comment

  1. Are you familiar with HSLDA? You might be able to find some helpful info here: http://hslda.org/earlyyears/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

© A CHICAGO MOMMaira Gall